Big Fat Repack - 14th January 2018
Dear TVHGC member,
The TVHGC’s annual safety and parachute repack event, The Big Fat Repack
, opens its doors at 0900
on Sunday 14th January 2018
, at the Rivermead Leisure Complex in Reading.
The BFR features
A reserve repack talk lead by the BHPA’s Bill Morris and his team of qualified packers.
- How to deploy your reserve
- How to repack your reserve
- How to correctly fit and attach your reserve to your harness
A zip wire slide, allowing you to deploy your reserve in a realistic and safe environment.
Repack your own reserve in pairs and under the close instruction of a BHPA qualified parachute packer.
The Dealing With Accidents talk and First Aid demonstration will help you deal with incidents confidently and efficiently, covering
- Assessing the situation, securing the wing and organising a group of helpers
- Calling Emergency Services and/or Air Ambulance
- Basic first aid covering broken bones, spinal and head injuries
DVD and Book stand raising money for our local Air Ambulance services.
To those of you new to the BFR or still early in your flying career
- This is one of the very few parachute repack events that lets you deploy your reserve in this way.
- It is a huge confidence boost to know that your kit does and will work if properly installed - and when you really need it - speak to other pilots who have thrown their reserve in earnest to understand why the BFR helps.
- Your reserve should be repacked every 12 months - this is the about cheapest way to check your equipment works; is fit for purpose; and to repack it under the guidance of professionals.
- There are usually upwards of 130 PG & HG pilots milling around - it is a great way to put a face to a name among your club members, meet fellow pilots, talk to club coaches, and generally kick off the season.
To those of you familiar with the BFR or who have attended other repack events
- This year, we have worked hard on rethinking the schedule and how to reduce waiting and queuing times
- We plan to film every deployment from the dismount scaffold tower, so if there is a deployment issue, it can be replayed and analysed with the parachute experts and the club’s safety officer.
- We have arranged to have two bespoke zip wires designed, built and installed by Go Ape, the Tree Top Adventure company
- We shall be able to run them in parallel through the day, hopefully speeding up the whole process
- We intend to run additional talks on Site, Conditions & Weather assessment, prepared by the Club Coaches
- A key objective within the club is to constantly develop & improve the culture of flight safety among its members - to this end, we shall invite you to complete a one minute survey on the day; ask you to submit any incident reports still pending from last year - and of course give us feedback on what we can improve.
The Money Bit
- We have upped the price per ticket by £5 from previous years:
- £30 for TVHGC member
- £30 for non-TVHGC members
- £10 per second reserve throw (not 2nd attempts with same reserve)
Why have we upped the ticket price?
- Go Ape is very kindly donating the two zip slides to the TVHGC for free, which being steel wire-rope, we shall be able to use at future BFRs for many years to come.
- The installation will be quicker, more reliable and easier for future BFR teams to adopt and set up safely
- Go Ape declined our offers of reimbursement but accepted the suggestion we make a donation to its own preferred charity, which entirely by coincidence is … the Air Ambulance service.
- In recognition of this, we would like to make a particularly generous donation this year in Go Ape & TVHGC’s names to the Thames Valley & Chiltern and Wiltshire Air Ambulance services, so in addition to funds & donations raised directly for these charities on the day, any and all surplus funds from the event will be directed this way.
Everyone is welcome
- TVHGC members, members of other PG & HG clubs or any PG or HG pilot without any club affiliations may participate, so please encourage your flying friends to join us.
- The TVHGC’s insurance for the event is dependent on participants' membership of the BHPA, so you must bring proof of current membership, noting that BHPA day membership is available for £15 on the day
Booking is now open, so we urge you to sign up quickly, here . If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us on
and we look forward to seeing you on the day.
With best wishes to you all from the BFR team.